Friday, April 27, 2012

Time to Stop Being a Follower and Become a Leader








I mentioned in a previous blog entry about how my weight loss has made me more confident. I'm walking with my head held high, I smile a lot more, etc. I've mentioned several times that I aspire to be a Zumba instructor once I've lost 20% of my starting weight. Well, I think it's time I raise the bar a bit. 


Several people have told me that I've inspired or motivated them in some way to start eating better, or exercising. A couple of my friends actually joined Weight Watchers. I find myself trying to coach my oldest daughter a little bit, and my other half, too, instead of nagging him about his eating, lol. In training for my new job today I was telling the girl sitting next to me about Weight Watchers. This has all got me thinking lately: Why not become a leader myself? Well, one reason is I'm not at goal yet. It's understandable that the company won't hire me yet until I can be a living example of how the program works. The other reason is my fear of public speaking. I LOVE speaking to people and meeting new people. However, I hate speaking in front of groups. I turn red. It passes, but I'd like to start off not looking like a lobster. I have plenty of time to work on that fear. I have 70 pounds to go before I reach my goal weight. If I average 2 pounds a week, I can reach that goal in almost 9 months. I think that's enough time to get prepared. I suppose I can read some books on the subject of public speaking, or perhaps take a class. No matter what, I need to work on it.


I love my leader, Debbie. She's enthusiastic, driven, encouraging, and she's loud! She's like me. I want to be in her shoes. I want to get people excited about achieving their goals. I want to make a difference. 


Besides being a mother, I can't think of anything more rewarding than helping to change the lives of others for the better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Ok to Be a Weight Watcher

It’s ok if you see me with a donut.  I am going to track it and make sure that I get in some activity to work it off. It’s ok if I ...